Saturday, November 13, 2010

PDP #311: One of the Guns

On Thursday I attended the Remembrance Day ceremony at Victory Square in Vancouver. It was significantly larger than any ceremony I'd attended in Toronto, perhaps because people in Vancouver do not necessarily need to choose between Remembrance Day and a work day. Part of the ceremony included a twenty-one gun salute by the 15th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery - something I'd never encountered in Toronto, as there aren't many places in the downtown core where it would be safe to fire off howitzers while having them audible at Old City Hall.

Though most of the crowd dispersed while the soldiers marched off after the ceremony, I stayed to watch them go - and am glad I did, because after they left, the howitzers came through. It's not very often you get a chance to see one of the regiment's 105mm C3 howitzers get towed past the cenotaph along West Hastings Street.



I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment