Sunday, September 26, 2010

PDP #287: Finding a Signal in Big Sky Country

Despite what you might think when seeing it on a map, Montana is a large state - as it says at the rest stop outside Wibaux, the distance between the eastern and western borders "is just about the same distance as from New York to Chicago. You have to push a lot of ground behind you to get places in this state."

Another thing you'll gain a new appreciation of if you do that drive across Montana is how many insects tend to fly over the interstate at windshield level. No matter how clean or dirty the screen is when you start out, after an hour or so it'll be pockmarked with bug guts. Since bug guts don't tend to be value-added components of most photographs, I had to hold the camera outside to take some looking-ahead shots. This one was taken on I-90 somewhere west of Billings, and I don't think I could have planned the way it turned out. It just became.

NOTE TO READERS: As I have arrived in Spokane, Washington, this weblog will now transition to the Pacific Time Zone.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment