Saturday, January 23, 2010

PDP #165: Exposed to Showers

As I mentioned in my recent Tunnel Visions post, the architecture of Los Angeles County Metro Rail stations is understandably influenced by the climate of Los Angeles - which is generally dry, warm, and pleasant, except for the times when I'm there or might have been there. Today's photograph, one of the entrances to Civic Center station, demonstrates that. Not only is the entrance portal massive, it's deep, and as such the stairs and elevators are exposed to the elements for a good portion of their length. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, but on days when the rain's coming down - as I understand it was fairly recently - it doesn't exactly strike me as the best of all possible designs. Escalator traffic jams are bad enough without having a bunch of umbrellas all up in your face, and I don't doubt that people in Los Angeles also flaunt the general stand on the right/walk on the left escalator dynamic.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In case this is not legally possible, I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment